Paying Taxes in the US

All students in F-1 nonimmigrant status and their F-2 dependents (physically present in the U.S. during the filing year) MUST file the IRS Form 8843 regardless of whether or not they earned income in the U.S.

If you received a W-2 from your employer, you have earned income and you may also need to fill out a 1040NR.

All tax documents must be filed (mailed) before midnight on April 15.

NOTE: Your paychecks will have money deducted for tax purposes. However, that is not the same as paying taxes or filing a tax return.