Facebook Instagram Youtube LinkedIn Twitter

International & Local Travel

Traveling Internationally

While you are in F-1 status, you may be permitted to leave the US and re-enter in F-1 status if you have been out of the US for less than five months and present the following:

  • A SEVIS Form I-20, endorsed for travel and signed by your DSO
  • A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry or, if you are from an "adjacent island" country, a passport that is current through the date of entry
  • A valid, current visa (unless you traveled to a contiguous country or adjacent island for less than thirty days)
  • Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses

For more information regarding travel outside of the United States, please visit ICE, the United States immigration website.

Preparing to Travel

If you are leaving the US for any purpose other than travel during a designated break from classes, please notify the Office of Global Initiatives.

To travel to a country other than your home country:

  • Contact the country's embassy or consulate to find out what documentation is required.

You will need the following documents to re-enter the United States after a temporary absence:

  • Valid Form I-20 endorsed by the DSO within the last six months (page 2 of your I-20)
  • Valid Passport
  • Valid US Visa

Traveling Within the US

While traveling within the US, international students should always have their passport, visa, and I-20 in their possession or readily accessible.


Sarah Epling

Director of Intercultural
Engagement and Development
+1 903.233.3173