Immigration Documents


Your passport was issued by your home country and identifies you as a citizen of that country. For students and their dependents on "F" visas, the passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the time of your authorized stay in the United States.

To apply for extension of your passport, contact the nearest Consulate or Embassy in Washington, D.C. to obtain any necessary application forms and information about their requirements. The Office of Global Initiatives or Office of the Registrar can provide you with an official certificate stating that you are a registered student if such a document is necessary to extend your passport.

You should request information about renewal and apply well in advance of your expiration date since considerable time is required for some countries. Any time you mail your passport it should be sent by Registered or Certified Mail.


A U.S. Visa is issued by a U.S. Consulate and is your permission to apply for entry into the U.S. Your visa is stamped in your passport and entitles you to apply for admission to the United States.

It indicates place of issue, type of visa, date of issue, expiration date (you must enter the U.S. before this date), and how many times you may enter during the period of validity.


The I-20 is the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students. You must have a valid Form I-20 with you to enter or re-enter the U.S. if you are on an F-1 visa.

The Form I-20 is the initial form issued by LeTourneau University Office after a student has been accepted for enrollment. This form must be presented at the US point of entry. Most US ports of entry no longer stamp/seal the I-20.


The Form I-94 is the Arrival-Departure Record issued to you when you enter the United States. It tells you how long you can stay in the United States and under what conditions. Your I-94 will not have a specific date, but will say "D/S" which stands for "duration of studies."

NOTE: A paper Form I-94 will be required when requesting certain benefits (i.e. work permit, driver's license). You can print out your I-94 information at

NOTE: If you receive an error or cannot locate the I-94 on the CBP website, follow the instructions on the link. Tips to Locate and Print Electronic Form I-94

IMPORTANT!! You should have your I-94 (if you have a paper version) and I-20 in your possession at all times except when USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) is processing documents for you. It is highly recommended that you carry with you at all times either the original or a copy of these documents. If you lose them, you should apply for replacement documents and immediately notify the Office of Global Initiatives.