A Global Service Learning project:
- Must solve a problem through research (in keeping with your department standards), which your team has or can identify appropriate expertise.
- Must involve both faculty and students as a project team.
- Must address a need that has an educational benefit for the student and professional benefit for the faculty.
- Must build upon an existing academic discipline within the university.
- Must work in partnership with a host institution or entity that has long-term commitments with the community that you are serving. Said in another way, the project must be incorporated into the long-term mission and aims of a host institution or entity.
- Must be fiscally sound and sustainable for both the university and the host country.
Example (Small Plot Irrigation Project):
GSL Grant Application
Dr. Kelly Liebengood
Chief Global Initiatives Officer,
Director, Global Service Learning