|DATE POSTED: ||Thursday, February 8, 2018|
|REPORTS TO: ||Director, Business Systems Management|
Office hours are primarily weekdays, but responsibilities require additional hours and flexibility that can include evenings and weekends.
The Programmer/Analyst position is the entry-level position in the Business Systems Management department in terms of experience, expertise, skill level, and leadership. The expectation of this position is to perform routine entry level analysis and programming duties in the development, implementation and support of information technology systems. The Programmer/Analyst will work closely with fellow Business Systems Management team members to analyze user information technology needs and provide routine recommendations. This entry level position will provide support to all senior departmental personnel for training and workflow management purposes.
Receiving direction from higher level team members, the primary responsibility of the Programmer/Analyst is to provide support to all departmental staff in performing daily tasks including but not limited to business process analysis, project management, programming development, vendor relations, contract negotiation, customer relations, software installation and upgrades, problem diagnosis, and systems maintenance and support. The Programmer/Analyst will be assisting other Business Systems Management team members in the design, development and implementation of the related databases, standard applications and custom applications.
He/she must have excellent "people skills" since he/she will be responding with other departmental staff to end-user/customer requests. The Programmer/Analyst will provide assistance to other Business Systems Management team members in the operation of the department including but not limited to software research and analysis, inter-departmental communications, and general issue follow-up.
The person in this position must do the following with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Coordinate and follow through with tasks and/or projects assigned under close supervision.
- Assist with the analysis of systems at the secondary level.
- Assist with the development of specifications for tasks and/or projects at the secondary level under close supervision.
- Perform minor programming and analyzing as assigned under close supervision.
- Perform minor testing and evaluation of assigned tasks and/or projects under close supervision.
- Assist the Senior Programmer/Analysts and Director of Business Systems Management in the staff recruitment process.
- Collaborate with customers and the Senior Programmer/Analysts and Director of Business Systems Management to determine prioritization of tasks and projects and support the rest of the Business Systems Management team in support of those priorities.
- Assist all IT staff to ensure resolution of computer systems problems that are within the scope of this position.
- Maintain a proper personal training plan in order to support his/her role on the team, keeping up with programming development languages, technologies, project management skills, and communication skills, to continue professional growth and advancement.
- Promote a positive, productive relationship between IT and the user community at all times.
- Perform other jobs/tasks within the scope of this position’s purpose with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Maintain a harmonious environment in the workplace by responding to problem reports, questions, emails, phone calls in a timely manner. Indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Conduct training (within scope of responsibility) that is meaningful to the Business Systems Management team and customers.
- Promote effective communication/relationships among LETU staff. Indicated by timely attendance at interdepartmental meetings, timely response to questions, emails, phone calls, and observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Perform as effective team player at all times. Indicated by participation on project teams, contributing in positive ways, and by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (oral, written), personal accountability and ownership of projects. Indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Act as a visionary in the constant identification of customer requirements, seeking to assure that the same issue does not repeat. Indicated by observation, support ticket analysis, and feedback from other personnel.
- Work to remove “barriers” in the IT department so that Business Systems Management staff can meet quality goals and objectives, indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Personal conduct must be reflective of an ongoing, day to day commitment to customer service and programming philosophy across LETU, indicated by participation in improvement programs and initiatives, observation, and feedback from other personnel.
- Assignments are completed in accordance with departmental and LETU policies and procedures, indicated by lack of incidents and observation.
- Promote compliance with departmental and LETU policies, procedures, and directives by example and by enforcement of such among the Business Systems Management team, as indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Handle anomalous situations in accordance with departmental and LETU policies, procedures, and directives, as indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Maintain personal work area in a clean and orderly condition as indicated by observation and compliance with fire and safety standards.
- Perform programming development, software installation (as needed), customer applications support, and systems monitoring and maintenance within the scope of this position. Indicated by observation, review of outcomes, and feedback from other personnel.
- Perform design, coding, testing, and implementation of custom and standard applications within the scope of this position. Indicated by observation, review of outcomes, and feedback from other personnel.
- Within the scope of this position, set up production versions of systems, reports, interfaces, services and applications, and then maintain them as assigned. Indicated by observation, review of outcomes, and feedback from other personnel.
- Develop, maintain, and support the writing of comprehensive documentation and end-user manuals and instructional documents. Indicated by review of task completions, observation, and feedback from other personnel.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify problems and make necessary corrections, recommendations, and/or adjustments in support of customers and LETU as a whole. Indicated by review of outcomes and feedback from other personnel.
- Manage daily tasks effectively, under close supervision, to ensure quality systems and service delivery to customers and appropriate prioritization of tasks. Indicated by feedback from other personnel and observation.
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner, meeting deadlines and commitments made to Senior Programmer/Analysts, Director of Business Systems Management, customers and fellow teammates. Indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Effectively manage timeframes and deadlines by pro-actively managing tasks that may exceed assigned deadlines. This requires consultation with other team members and regular communication with customers in order to effectively manage expectations and assure quality service. Indicated by reviewing task statuses and outcomes, observation, and feedback from other personnel.
Personal and Technical Growth:
- Regularly seek additional education to enhance and expand technical skills, project management skills, and any skill that would promote further success in this position.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience in a similar position. Training/Experience with PHP, Perl, CGI, Java Platform Enterprise Edition (JEE v6) and SmartGWT will be helpful. Training/Experience with Apache, IIS web server, various database systems including Microsoft SQL and Informix, and related utilities a plus. Systems Admin training/experience in Linux/Unix environments would also helpful. Successful candidate will demonstrate genuine desire to learn and grow professionally in an environment requiring management of many divergent and pressing tasks simultaneously.
LeTourneau University seeks a person with an enthusiastic and contagious Christian faith who is committed to Christian higher education that integrates Christian faith with learning.
DATE POSITION IS AVAILABLE: Immediately
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION OR NOMINATION:
Applications will be reviewed in the order received and will continue until the position is filled. In accordance with applicable provisions of federal law, applicants for employment who are in agreement with the educational mission of LeTourneau University and applicants for admission to educational programs or activities are considered without discrimination on the basis of race, age, sex, handicapping condition, national origin or genetic information. Inquiries about this policy should be directed to the Director of Human Resources, (903) 233-4170.
Applications are required and are available from www.letu.edu/jobs or from the Business Office, LeTourneau University, 2100 Mobberly Avenue, Longview, TX. Send completed application, and a current resume to:
ATTN: Human Resources
P.O. Box 7001
Longview, Texas 75607-7001
FAX (903) 233-4103
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
LeTourneau University is the premier Christian polytechnic university in
the nation where educators engage students to nurture Christian virtue,
develop competency and ingenuity in their professional fields, integrate
faith and work, and serve the local and global community.
LETU is a Christ-centered, interdenominational institute of higher learning
offering more than 85 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in arts and
sciences, aviation, business & technology, communication, computer science,
criminal justice, education, engineering, nursing, psychology & counseling
and theology & vocation. LETU's 2,700 students represent nearly all 50 states,
more than 30 foreign countries, and around 50 different denominational groups.
In addition to residential programs at the main campus in Longview, Texas,
students are enrolled in a robust suite of online programs, as well as
innovative hybrid programs in the Dallas and Houston areas.
LETU is consistently recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of
"America's Best Colleges," and the engineering program is ranked nationally.
LeTourneau University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges
and Schools Commission on Colleges (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia
30033-4097, telephone 404-679-4500, at http://www.sacscoc.org) to award
associate, baccalaureate and master's degrees. LeTourneau University's
engineering and engineering technology programs are accredited by the
Engineering Accreditation Commission and the Technology Accreditation
Commission of the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology, 111
Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012 - telephone: 410-347-7700.
The Carnegie Foundation classifies LeTourneau University as a Master's
(Comprehensive) University II.
The 162 acre main campus is located in Longview, Texas, a progressive hub
city with an MSA of over 190,000, nestled among the beautiful pine-forested
hills and lakes of East Texas. It is approximately 120 miles east of Dallas,
Texas and 60 miles west of Shreveport, Louisiana.
See http://www.letu.edu for more information.