|DATE POSTED: ||Tuesday, December 2, 2014|
|REPORTS TO: ||Director, Business Systems Management - Information Technology|
Office hours are primarily weekdays, but responsibilities require additional hours and flexibility that can include evenings and weekends.
The Database Programmer/Analyst is one of the mid-level positions in the Business Systems Management department in terms of experience, expertise, skill level, and leadership. The expectation of this position is to work closely with fellow teammates to provide support to all senior departmental personnel for training and workflow management purposes.
Under the supervision of the Director of Business Systems Management, Senior Programmer/Analysts, and Database Administrator, the primary responsibility of the Database Programmer/Analyst is to provide support to all departmental staff in providing operational database services to LETU including but not limited to the design and implementation of related databases, data warehouse(s), business intelligence tools/solutions, systems interfaces, standard applications and custom applications. Delivery of effective operational database services requires the Database Programmer/Analyst to perform daily tasks including but not limited to report development, business process analysis, project management, programming development, vendor relations, contract negotiation, customer relations, software installation and upgrades, problem diagnosis, and systems maintenance and support.
He/she must have excellent "people skills" since he/she will be responding with other departmental staff to end-user/customer requests. The Database Programmer/Analyst will provide support to the Senior Programmer/Analysts, Director of Business Systems Management, and the Database Administrator in the operation of the department including but not limited to software research and analysis, inter-departmental communications, and general issue follow-up. The Database Programmer/Analyst requires a service-oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned, with a focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with customer expectations, and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within established timeframes.
The person in this position must do the following with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Perform all duties within the scope of this position with a long term, “big picture” perspective on the relationship of database technology to the business opportunities facing LETU.
- Work with architecture, application development and operations to help achieve a state-of-the-art environment that meets current and future business objectives.
- Own, track, and resolve database related incidents and requests.
- Review service related reports on a daily basis to assure that issues are identified and resolved proactively. (database backups/downloads, interfaces, maintenance, monitoring)
- Respond to database related alerts and escalations, keeping Database Administrator, Senior Programmer/Analysts and Director of Business Systems Management informed of critical issues and resolutions.
- Continuously monitor database related activities, working with team members to identify solutions to recurring problems.
- Coordinate and follow through with tasks and/or projects.
- Analyze systems at the secondary level.
- Develop specifications for tasks and/or projects at the secondary level with minimal supervision.
- Perform minor programming and analyzing as assigned with minimal supervision.
- Perform minor testing and evaluation of assigned tasks and/or projects.
- Assist the Database Administrator, Senior Programmer/Analysts and Director of Business Systems Management in the staff recruitment process.
- Collaborate with customers and the Database Administrator, Senior Programmer/Analysts and Director of Business Systems Management to determine prioritization of tasks and projects and support the rest of the Business Systems Management team in support of those priorities.
- Coordinate with all IT staff to ensure resolution of computer systems problems.
- Maintain a proper personal training plan in order to support his/her role on the team, keeping up with database analysis and development technologies, programming development languages, other applicable technologies, project management skills, and communication skills, to continue professional growth and advancement.
- Promote a positive, productive relationship between IT and the user community at all times.
- Perform other jobs/tasks within the scope of this position’s purpose with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Maintain a harmonious environment in the workplace by responding to problem reports, questions, emails, phone calls in a timely manner. Indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Conduct training (within scope of responsibility) that is meaningful to the Business Systems Management team and customers.
- Promote effective communication/relationships among LETU staff. Indicated by timely attendance at interdepartmental meetings, timely response to questions, emails, phone calls, and observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Perform as effective team player at all times. Indicated by participation on project teams, contributing in positive ways, and by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (oral, written), personal accountability and ownership of projects. Indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Act as a visionary in the constant identification of customer requirements, seeking to assure that the same issue does not repeat. Indicated by observation, support ticket analysis, and feedback from other personnel.
- Work to remove “barriers” in the IT department so that Business Systems Management staff can meet quality goals and objectives, indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Personal conduct must be reflective of an ongoing, day to day commitment to customer service and programming philosophy across LETU, indicated by participation in improvement programs and initiatives, observation, and feedback from other personnel.
- Assignments are completed in accordance with departmental and LETU policies and procedures, indicated by lack of incidents and observation.
- Promote compliance with departmental and LETU policies, procedures, and directives by example and by enforcement of such among the Business Systems Management team, as indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Handle anomalous situations in accordance with departmental and LETU policies, procedures, and directives, as indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Maintain personal work area in a clean and orderly condition as indicated by observation and compliance with fire and safety standards.
- Perform programming and database development, software installation (as needed), customer applications support, and systems monitoring and maintenance. Indicated by observation, review of outcomes, and feedback from other personnel.
- Perform design, coding, testing, and implementation of custom and standard database solutions, applications, and interfaces. Indicated by observation, review of outcomes, and feedback from other personnel.
- Set up production versions of databases, data warehouse(s), business intelligence solutions, systems, reports, interfaces, services and applications, and then maintain them as assigned after being placed into production. Indicated by observation, review of outcomes, and feedback from other personnel.
- Develop, maintain, and support the writing of comprehensive documentation and end-user manuals and instructional documents. Indicated by review of task completions, observation, and feedback from other personnel.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify problems and make necessary corrections, recommendations, and/or adjustments in support of customers and LETU as a whole. Indicated by review of outcomes and feedback from other personnel.
- Manage daily tasks effectively, with minimal supervision, to ensure quality systems and service delivery to customers and appropriate prioritization of tasks. Indicated by feedback from other personnel and observation.
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner, meeting deadlines and commitments made to Database Administrator, Senior Programmer/Analysts, Director of Business Systems Management, customers and fellow teammates. Indicated by observation and feedback from other personnel.
- Effectively manage timeframes and deadlines by pro-actively managing tasks that may exceed assigned deadlines. This requires regular communication with customers in order to effectively manage expectations and assure quality service. Indicated by reviewing task statuses and outcomes, observation, and feedback from other personnel.
Personal and Technical Growth:
- Regularly seek additional education to enhance and expand technical skills, project management skills, and any skill that would promote further success in this position.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience in a similar position including a minimum one to three years of experience in a database programming related field. Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices preferred. Experience with various database systems including Microsoft SQL and Informix, and related utilities preferred. Experience with Apache and IIS web server a plus. Experience with PHP, Perl, CGI, Java Platform Enterprise Edition (JEE v6) and SmartGWT will be helpful. Systems Admin experience in Linux/Unix environments also helpful. Successful candidate will have a proven ability to manage many divergent and pressing tasks with varying levels of direct supervision.
LeTourneau University seeks a person with an enthusiastic and contagious Christian faith who is committed to Christian higher education that integrates Christian faith with learning.
DATE POSITION IS AVAILABLE: December 1, 2014
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION OR NOMINATION:
Applications will be reviewed in the order received and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants who are in agreement with the educational mission of LeTourneau University are considered for employment without regard to race, age, sex, handicapping condition or national origin.
Applications are required and are available from www.letu.edu/jobs
or from the Business Office, LeTourneau University, 2100 S. Mobberly Avenue, Longview, TX. Send completed application and a current résumé to:
P.O. Box 7001
Longview, TX 75607
FAX (903) 233-4101
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Inspired by faith and a spirit of ingenuity, LeTourneau University
integrates learning, living and Christian leadership in a community of
integrity, academic quality and technological innovation.
LeTourneau University is a regionally accredited interdenominational
Christ-centered university offering undergraduate degrees in aviation,
business, communication, computer science, criminal justice, education,
engineering, health care management, health science-nursing, human
services, kinesiology, the liberal arts, psychology, the sciences and
theology. Graduate degree offerings include business administration, health
care administration, counseling, education, engineering, marriage & family
therapy, psychology and strategic leadership.
Nearly 2,730 students attend LeTourneau University. Around 1,350 of these
students are enrolled in programs at LETU's residential campus, while more
than 1,380 make up the university's global campus, attending classes online
and at educational centers in Dallas and Houston.
LETU students typically represent all 50 states, nearly 30 countries, and
more than 50 denominational groups. The SAT average of entering residential
freshmen is often 140-160 points above the national average and indicate a
strong academic quality, although provision is made for students with lower
scores who possess evidence of potential achievement.
LeTourneau has been consistently recognized by U.S. News and World Report
as one of "America's Best Colleges." LeTourneau University is accredited by
the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (1866
Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, telephone 404-679-4500, at
http://www.sacscoc.org) to award associate,
baccalaureate and master's degrees. The business program is accredited by IACBE.
LeTourneau University's engineering and engineering technology programs are
accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission and the Technology
Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board of Engineering and
Technology, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012 -
telephone: 410-347-7700. The Carnegie Foundation classifies LeTourneau University
as a Master's (Comprehensive) University II.
The 162 acre main campus is located in Longview, Texas, a progressive hub
city with an MSA of 150,000, nestled among the beautiful pine-forested hills
and lakes of East Texas. It is approximately 120 miles east of Dallas, Texas
and 60 miles west of Shreveport, Louisiana.
See http://www.letu.edu for more information.