Spring 2011 Update

The SPI team traveled to Senegal in November of 2010 to implement our first prototype. We partnered with CAMA services, who already had a working relationship with the village. They will be staying in contact with the village and will check in with us periodically on the prognosis of the pump.
We installed the pump on the main village well, where the village's 400 residents manually draw water for drinking, washing, and cooking. It was very enthusiastically received. We got several unsolicited comments from the men on the village that it was a very good pump, that it was more practical than others they had seen, and that they would like to have some for their fields.
It was very encouraging for us to hear this, since one of the continuing difficulties with third-world development is making something that the locals neither need nor want. This is why we greatly value our partnership with CAMA services. They provide the on-site data necessary for us to produce a locally relevant tool.
For the remainder of this year, we will be addressing the shortcomings of the first prototype. Our specific objectives are to reduce the number of moving parts, to integrate the inlet and outlet more fully into the design of the pump, and to address specific shortcomings identified by CAMA services. We will also develop a manufacturing manual, so that the design can be fabricated in the country.
Another primary objective is to design and fabricate a test apparatus, so that we can simulate a year's worth of irrigation use in the space of a few weeks. By doing this, we can identify any unanticipated wear points, or areas of high fatigue. Those issues can then be corrected before the final prototype is put into production.
We continually seek to glorify the name of Christ, and to make his name known. We pray that enabling the local people with the tool of an irrigation pump will give CAMA the relationships to bring the Living Water of Jesus to the lost people of the world.