Dr. Seunghyun Kim
Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering
Office: GLSK 0112
Phone: (903) 233-3934
- Ph.D., University of Alabama, Huntsville, 2004
- M.S.E., University of Alabama, Huntsville, 2004
- B.S., University of Suwon, Korea, 1998
- University Faculty Since 2010
Current Research Interests
- A Low Cost, High Sensitivity, Multiplexable Optical Cavity-Based Biosensor
- Microwave joining of Ceramic and Metal using closed loop controlled system
Previous Research Interests
- Photonic microcantilever biosensors for cancer detection.
- Photonic integrated circuit
- Hybrid integration of conventional waveguide and photonic crystal structures.
- Sharp bends/splitters with trench structures
Masters Theses Advised
Chris Mounce, A Low Cost, High Sensitivity, Multiplexable Optical Cavity-Based Biosensor Utilizing Chained Differential Detection. (2012)
- ENGR1812 – Fundamentals of Engineering Design
- EEGR2053 – Circuits I
- EEGR4433 – Electrical Power Systems
- EEGR4513 – Electromagnetic Fields and Waves
- EEGR4613 – Communications Engineering
- Y. Adonyi, S. Kim, A. Worcester, and I Glumac, "Method for joining two dissimilar materials and a microwave system for accomplishing the same," U.S. Patent No. 9,374,853 (2016).
- Y. Lin, G. P. Nordin, and S. Kim, “Shared Slab AWG Circuits and Systems,” U.S. Patent No. 7,876,986 (2011).
- G. P. Nordin, Y. Lin, and S. Kim, “Ultra-Compact Planar AWG Circuits and Systems,” U.S. Patent No. 7,492,988 (2009).
- G. P. Nordin, S. Kim, J. Cai, and J. Jiang, “Waveguide Including at Least One Photonic Crystal Region for Directing Signals Propagating Therethrough,” U.S. Patent No. 6,804,446 (2004).
- C. Mounce and S. Kim, “Optical Cavity-based Biosensor Utilizing Differential Detection,” IEEE Photonics Conference 2012, San Francisco, USA, September 23-27, 2012.
- S. J. Ness, R. R. Anderson, W. Hu, D. C. Richards, J. Oxborrow, T. Gustafson, B. Tsai, S. Kim, B. Mazzeo, A. Woolley, and G. P. Nordin, “Weak Adsorption-Induced Surface Stress for Streptavidin Binding to Biotin Tethered to Silicon Microcantilever Arrays,” IEEE Sensors , PP (99) (2012)
- R. R. Anderson, W. Hu, J. W. Noh, W. C. Dahlquist, S. J. Ness, T. M. Gustafson, D. C. Richards, S. Kim, B. A. Mazzeo, A. T. Woolley and G. P. Nordin, “Transient deflection response in microcantilever array integrated with polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) microfluidics,” Lab Chip,11, 2088-2096 (2011). http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2011/lc/c1lc20025a
- J. W. Noh, R. Anderson, S. Kim, W. Hu, and G. P. Nordin, “Sensitivity enhancement of differential splitter-based transduction for photonic microcantilever arrays,” Nanotechnology, 21, 155501 (2010). http://iopscience.iop.org/0957-4484/21/15/155501
- Y. Lin, S. Kim, G. P. Nordin, C. Topping, D. W. Smith, and J. Ballato, “Ultracompact AWG using air-trench bends with perfluorocyclobutyl polymer waveguides,” IEEE J. Lightwave technol. 26(17), 3062-3070 (2008). http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=4738503
- S. Kim, J. Cai, J. Jiang, and G. P. Nordin, "New ring resonator configuration using hybrid photonic crystal and conventional waveguide structures," Opt. Express, 12(11), 2356-2364 (2004). http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?URI=OPEX-12-11-2356.
- S. Kim, G. P. Nordin, J. Cai, and J. Jiang, “Ultracompact high-efficiency polarizing beam splitter with a hybrid photonic crystal and conventional waveguide structure,” Opt. Lett., 28(23), 2384-2386 (2003). http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?URI=ol-28-23-2384
- G. P. Nordin, S. Kim, J. Cai, and J. Jiang, “Hybrid integration of conventional waveguide and photonic crystal structures,” Opt. Express, 10(23), 1334-1341 (2002). http://www.opticsexpress.org/abstract.cfm?URI=OPEX-10-23-1334
- Additional publications