Dr. Gustavo Cortes
Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering
Office: GLSK 0153
Phone: (903) 233-3937
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2009
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Puerto Rico, 2006
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Puerto Rico, 2003
University Faculty Since 2011
- Housing alternatives for developing countries, structural analysis and design, earthquake engineering, cyclic behavior of assemblies, performance-based design, seismic vulnerability of existing structures and large scale testing.
- Research Engineer, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland. Seismic Behavior of Storage Tanks (analytical and experimental work) Research Objectives: - Study the low-cycle fatigue behavior of shell-to-base connections in tanks analytically and experimentally - Verify current Eurocode-8 provisions and propose new specifications for the rotation limit of the shell-to-base connection.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA Design and Behavior of Steel Slit Panel Frames for Lateral Resistance of Frames in Zones of High Seismicity Research Objectives: - Study the Steel Slit Panel system (analytically and experimentally) to determine its strength, stiffness, and buckling capacity - Study the panel-frame interaction (analytically and experimentally) - Provide design recommendations - Design prototype buildings
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Puerto Rico - Mayaguez, PR, USA Earthquake Induced Damage Estimation for Steel Buildings in Puerto Rico Research Objectives: - Study typical steel buildings in Puerto Rico - Estimate damage for different earthquake scenarios
- Research Structural Engineer, U.S. Army Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS, USA Stability analysis of gravity dams via development of an in-house code in the Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory Development of a finite element model of the gates of a dam system
- Undergraduate Research Assistant, University of Puerto Rico - Mayaguez, PR, USA Development of guideline procedures for the rehabilitation of housing and buildings in Puerto Rico
Link to Dr. Gustavo Cortes' Publications and Honors