Associate Professor of Communication Studies
Office Phone: 903-233-3385
Following successful and varied careers in broadcasting, marketing, public relations, and pastoral ministry, Karl Payton seems to have found his niche in Christian higher education. “God doesn't waste any of our past experiences. I believe He is letting me draw upon my background to make my classroom a more interesting place.”
Mr. Payton believes "Introduction to Speech Communication" is the most important class any college student can take. "The skills learned are immediately useful. Our ability to share ideas is the essence of teaching, learning, and ministering, and thus one of God’s greatest gifts. We live in a society that is accustomed to well-packaged messages. We in the Church owe it to our Lord to tell His story and represent His cause in as professional a manner as is possible.”
- Ed.D. - Texas A&M University-Commerce (2011); Supervision, Curriculum, and Instruction in Higher Education; Dissertation research in predictors of communication apprehension among college freshmen.
- M.A. - Western Kentucky University (1994); Organizational Communication; Thesis: "Evaluating the Effectiveness of Corporate Soft Skills Training: An Exploratory Study"
- B.A. - Trevecca Nazarene University (1976); Religion and Speech Communications.
- Adjunct Professor, Communication Studies, Trevecca Nazarene University, 1998-2002
- Adjunct Professor, Speech Communication, Austin Peay State University, 2000-2001
- Adjunct Professor, Communication, Volunteer State Community College, 1995-1996
- Adjunct Professor, Speech Communication, Western Kentucky University, 1994-1996
- Pastor, First Church of the Nazarene, Dickson, TN, 1996-2001
- Employee Communication Mgr. & Executive Speechwriter - BellSouth Telecommunications, 1988-1996
- Business Marketing Specialist / Media Producer - BellSouth Telecommunications, 1976-1988
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Texas Speech Communication Association
- Religious Communication Association
- American Communication Association
- Ordained Minister, Church of the Nazarene, 1998
- Named "Outstanding Graduate Student" - Department of Speech Communication and Broadcasting, Western Kentucky University, 1993
- A founding member and charter vice president of Intercollegiate Religious Broadcasters - the collegiate division of National Religious Broadcasters - while serving as manager of WNAZ-FM, Trevecca Nazarene College, 1974-1975
- Commissioned as a Kentucky Colonel by Gov. Wendell Ford, 1974
More information about Mr. Payton is available on his personal web page.