Unless a comparative study is done, all a researcher finds out is that every child is different. A comparative study reveals the strengths and weaknesses of each wheelchair.
We use the following outcomes assessments:
- Energy cost: The physiological Cost Index in conjunction with a six minute Timed Roll Test. This is done on both rough and smooth ground.
- Maneuverability: Five timed skills tests common to many wheelchair skills test assessment measures.
- Feedback from the children: The Functional Mobility Assessment questionnaire modified to a visual analogue format.
- Feedback from the therapists: Visual analogue scale questions and comments on each part of the wheelchair and on six categories of likely function.
- Clinical assessment to look at the impact of the wheelchair on the health of the children.