Associate Professor of Theology
Phone: (903) 233-3372
Ph.D., University of St. Andrews, Scotland. Dissertation: "Zechariah 9-14 as the Substructure of 1 Peter’s Eschatological Program."
M.Div., Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Concentration: New Testament and Greco-Roman Backgrounds.
M.A., University of Kansas. Education /Teaching English as a Second Language (1998).
B.S., San Jose State University (1993). Major: Advertising
- Biblical Literature
- Paul's Prison Letters
- The Book of Revelation
- General Letters
- Paul’s Early Letters
- Physical Settings of the Bible
- Poverty, Wealth, and Christian Discipleship.
- 1 Peter; The Pauline Epistles; The Book of Revelation; the Use of the Old Testament in the New Testament; theological hermeneutics; Soteriology in the Catholic (General) Epistles and Revelation; eschatology and spiritual formation; the interface between Christian theology, work, economics, and vocation.
Publications and Presentations:
- Liebengood, Kelly D. The Eschatology of 1 Peter: Considering the influence of Zechariah 9-14. Society for New Testament Monograph Series 157; Cambridge University Press, (forthcoming January 2014).
- Liebengood, Kelly D. and Aaron J. Kuecker (2013). “The Paul of Acts and the Paul of the epistles” in Evangelical Faith and the Challenge of Historical Criticism. Edited by Christopher M. Hays and Christopher B. Ansberry; London: SPCK, 182-203.
- Liebengood, Kelly. (2012). “Augustine con leche: Reading the Milk Metaphor of 1 Peter 2.2 with Help from Augustine’s Insights Regarding the Affections,” Leaven 20.3:127-132, 2012.
- Bruce W. Longenecker and Kelly D. Liebengood, eds. Engaging Economics: New Testament Scenarios and Early Christian Reception. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, November 2009.
- "Economics and New Testament Studies?". In Engaging Economics: New Testament Scenarios and Early Christian Reception. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, November 2009.
- "Towards A Theology of Work in the Catholic Epistles," for the Theology of Work Project (learn more here), 2009.
- "1 Peter's Fiery Trials and Zechariah 9-14's Pierced Shepherd-King". 22 Nov 2008, Society of Biblical Literature, Boston.
- "Messianic Woes in 1 Peter? Whoa!" 22 Nov 2008, Society of Biblical Literature, Boston
- "'Don't be like your fathers': reassessing the ethnic identity of 1 Peter's 'elect sojourners'." British New Testament Conference, 4 September 2008, University of Durham.
- "¿Que quiere decir la pasión de Cristo? El significado del sufrimiento de Jesús, según las Escrituras." Apuntes Pastorales 21:4 (2004): 8-12. [What does the Passion of Christ mean? The significance of Jesus' suffering according to the Scriptures.]
Prior to joining the faculty of LeTourneau University in 2009, Kelly taught New Testament and Theology at Seminario ESEPA in San José, Costa Rica. Kelly and his wife Marietta met while serving as missionaries in Concepción, Chile. Together they have served as campus ministers at the University of Kansas and as missionaries with United World Mission in Costa Rica and Scotland. They have four children who teach them a lot about God and the meaning of life.
In my junior year of college my world was turned upside-down: I became a follower of Jesus. Perhaps it is for this reason that I have always considered the university years to be the most significant period of life for developing a holistic, globally-minded, understanding of our Christian call for life-long service in God's world. I consider it to be a tremendous privilege and opportunity to serve at LeTourneau University, where I hope to encourage college students to discover, understand and live out their Christian vocation, whether in the workplace or in a cross-cultural setting.