Dean of School of Arts and Sciences
Professor of Religion
Phone: (903) 233-3951
Office: GLSK 141
Every student at LETU takes classes in general education from the School of Arts and Sciences, so we serve the entire university in that way. The heart of the university experience is cultivated by the arts and sciences. That's the universal in university - the essential skills of reading, writing, thinking and communicating. The learning that happens in classes like religion, history and English shapes all of our students.
College is about the person you become. It's not just a job you get, because jobs will change. It's about what kind of person you will turn out to be. At a school like LeTourneau, you learn that God has gifted you in a special way. Let's find out what that is and develop it.
- Ph.D., Religion, Baylor University, 2002
- M.A., Theology, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1994
- B.A., Christian Ministry & Behavioral Sciences, East Texas Baptist University, 1990
- Council of Independent Colleges and the American Academic Leadership Institute Senior Leadership Academy, 2010-2011.
- Sonoma State University, College of Extended Studies, CT 700: Critical Thinking for Instruction and Learning, Spring 2009.
Church History, Baptist History, Critical Thinking, Systematic Theology, Biblical Backgrounds, Biblical Literature, Religion and Society, Christian Ministry, Preaching
- "Sutton E. Griggs's Imperium In Imperio as Evidence of Black Baptist Radicalism," Baptist History and Heritage 30 (Spring 2000): 72-91.
- "The Benefits of Cross-Disciplinary Involvement," Religious Studies News 12 (September 1997): 4.
- Preaching with Sacred Fire: an Anthology of African American Sermons, 1750 to the Present. Baptist History and Heritage 47 (Spring 2012): 76-77.
- Baptist Identities: International Studies from the Seventeenth to the Twentieth Century, ed. Ian M. Randall, Toivo Pilli, and Anthony R. Cross. Baptist History and Heritage 43 (Summer-Fall 2008): 110-11.
- Affect and Power: Essays on Sex, Slavery, Race, and Religion in Appreciation of Winthrop D. Jordan,ed. David J. Libby, Paul Spickard, and Susan Ditto. Journal of Southern History 73 (August 2007): 767-68.
- Saving America: Faith-Based Services and the Future of Civil Society, by Robert Wuthnow. Religious Studies Review (Booknote) 31 (January-April 2005): 220.
- The Trophy of Baptists: Words to Celebrate Religious Liberty, ed. J. Brent Walker. Baptist History and Heritage 40 (Summer/Fall 2005): 118-19.
- Awakening Minds: The Power of Creativity in Teaching, by James Downton, Jr. Teaching Theology and Religion 7 (October 2004): 238-40.
- Southern Evangelicals and the Coming of the Civil War, by Edward R. Crowther. Baptist History and Heritage 37 (Spring 2002): 109-110.
- A Genealogy of Dissent: Southern Baptist Protest in the Twentieth Century, by David Stricklin. Religious Studies Review (Booknote) 27 (January 2001): 92.
- Redeeming the South: Religious Cultures and Racial Identities Among Southern Baptists, by Paul Harvey. H-AMREL discussion list, April 1998.
- “Critical Thinking and Three Cups of Tea,” with Dr. Brenda Tinkham, Dean of Education, Chowan University, 28th Annual North Carolina Teacher Education Forum, Raleigh, NC, 24 September 2010.
- “Critical Thinking and the Teaching of Secondary Math,” NC Quest: Improving Achievement in Mathematics, Murfreesboro, North Carolina, 21-25 June 2010.
- “Founding the Chowan Socratic Club: the Roles of Paul, Elder, and Lewis (C.S.) in the Pilot of the Chowan Critical Thinking Program,” 29th International Conference on Critical Thinking, Berkeley, California, 22 July 2009.
- "Contested Space: East Texas Baptists and the Oil Boom of the 1930s," Baptist History and Heritage Society Annual Meeting, Belton, Texas, 24 May 2003.
- "Christ-Images in the McLennan County Area: A Photo-Essay," The Christ-Haunted South: A Conference on Southern Religion, Social Practice, and Literature, Baylor University, 22 October 1998.
- "The Implications of Sutton Griggs's Imperium in Imperio," Southwest Region, American Academy of Religion, Irving, Texas, 14 March 1998.
- "The Ritual of the United Daughters of the Confederacy: A Liturgy of Southern Civil Religion," University of North Carolina, Charlotte, Graduate History Forum, 5 April 1997.
- "The Ritual of the United Daughters of the Confederacy: A Liturgy of Southern Civil Religion," Southwest Region, American Academy of Religion, Irving, Texas, 8 March 1997.
Church and Denominational Service
- Deacon, Murfreesboro Baptist Church, 2003-2006; 2008-2011
- Teacher, College and Career Sunday School Class, Murfreesboro Baptist Church, Murfreesboro, North Carolina, 2004-2011
- Session Leader, BSU Fall Convention, Raleigh, North Carolina, 25 September 2004
- Teacher, Good News Sunday School Class, Murfreesboro Baptist Church, Murfreesboro, North Carolina, 2002-2004
- Teacher, Young Couples' Sunday School Class, Meadowbrook Baptist Church, Robinson, Texas, 1997-1999
- Interim Pastor, First Baptist Church, Chilton, Texas, 1995-1996.
- Teacher, Young Couples' Sunday School Class, Sagamore Hills Baptist Church, Fort Worth, Texas, 1993-1995
- Minister to Youth, First Baptist Church, Quitman, Texas, 1989-1991
- Minister to Youth, Smyrna Baptist Church, Atlanta, Texas, 1987-1989
- Board of Directors, Hertford County Habitat for Humanity
- Coach: Ahoskie Baseball Association and Roanoke-Chowan Baseball Association
- Volunteer: Murfreesboro Historical Association's Christmas Tour, Hertford County Relay for Life, Murfreesboro Watermelon Festival