IT Knowledge Base
How to Install and Use Panopto in Blackboard[MOVED]
|Author: John Smith Reference Number: AA-00553 Views: 1043 Created: 06-25-2012 05:36 am Last Updated: 05-15-2013 03:46 pm||0 Voters|
1. Download the Panopto website as a shortcut to your desktop (or the user’s desktop). This will be used to view, modify, and copy your videos to the Blackboard. Site is: http://letu.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Default.aspx.
2. Go to http://letu.hosted.panopto.com/ and download the Panopto software to your desktop by clicking on the "Record" button. Use the default folder location for the software. This requires administrator authorization. The Panopto Recorder icon will appear on your desktop when complete.
3. Request a folder for the user from the Instructional Design Technical Specialist at LeTourneau University. This will be needed in order to log in using the Blackboard option in the Panopto recorder.
4. In order to record, you must have a webcam set up with driver for your computer prepared in advance.
5. To record a video, open the website Panopto recorder icon on your desktop and login under Blackboard. (Do not attempt to log into the recorder using the Panopto option.) You will have to login in twice. If you wish to record while using PowerPoint, or if you wish to capture the screen for anything you ask for the benefit of your viewers, select the option to permit PowerPoint and Capture Screen. If you wish to capture a simultaneous video of yourself, make the video selection. Next, click on Record. Begin recording.
6. As you lecture, the video will capture your voice and anything you permit to be accessed on screen. You can go to the text in CourseSmart, for example, and lecture directly from the textbook. You can also use PowerPoint. You can also access the internet or Google subjects of interest so that students can view the items as you speak.
7. To pause the recording (for example, if you should want to change screen views seamlessly), click on the Panopto recorder icon in the taskbar, and then click on pause. To stop the recording, go back to the recording icon and click on stop. (But once you click on stop, the recording session is finished!) There is a 3-second delay between mouse clicks and recording, which contributes to the seamless result in Panopto. However, keep the delay in mind as you lecture, change views, and point to things on the screen with your mouse.
8. To manage the recording, click on the website icon (not the recorder), log in, and select your recording. You may also access the website through the recorder by selecting “manage my recordings.”
9. Inside the Panopto website, you will see all recordings, beginning with the most recent, for all Panopto users at LeTourneau University. To view your own recordings only, click on the folder bearing your LeTourneau I.D. on the left.
10. You can insert the recording into the course content area of Blackboard. Once inside the Panopto website, hover over the recording, select the icon of two people on the right and select Make Public if needed. ( “Make Public” is normally defaulted. You can toggle between Make Public and Make Private. ) Select the URL address of the recording to highlight, then key in Control-C. Log in to Blackboard and go to edit on the assignment or lecture portion where you want to paste the video. In the edit mode, select the icon that permits you to paste the video.