IT Knowledge Base
Accessing MyFiles with Windows XP [MOVED]
|Author: Ken Johnson Reference Number: AA-00543 Views: 1624 Created: 05-15-2012 11:39 am Last Updated: 05-14-2013 10:07 am||0 Voters|
For Windows XP computers, LeTourneau has a site license for a WebDAV client called WebDrive. Current Students, Faculty, and Staff are allowed to use this software for free as long as they are enrolled in classes or employed by LeTourneau.
Download WebDrive and license agreement
(You will have to provide your LetNet username and password to access the link above)
Instructions on setting up WebDrive for access to LetNet MyFiles from Windows XP:
1) Install the WebDrive software by double-clicking the downloaded executable file and following the instructions.
2) Launch WebDrive - the dialog below will be displayed.
3) Click the "New Site Button"
4) Name the site whatever you prefer ("letnet.net Files" is offered as an example).
5) Enter the Site Address as:
- https://myfiles.letu.edu/students or https://myfiles.letu.edu/fs/ for Students
- https://myfiles.letu.edu/fs/ for Faculty/Staff
- (Please note that the screenshot above is an example of a student configuration - Faculty/Staff should use the URL provided for them)
6) IMPORTANT: Please ensure the addresses above begin with https and not http. The https is important because it activates a secure connection to the LetNet MyFiles (or MyLETU Courses) server. While the server is configured to automatically redirect http inquires to https for web browsers, it cannot do the same for WebDAV clients like WebDrive. As a result, leaving off the "s" at the end of https will result in a failed connection attempt.
7) Ensure the Server Type is "WebDAV"
8) Select whatever Drive letter you would like to map your LetNet file access to. We recommend Z: or something at the end of the alphabet if you do not have a preference since this will keep the drive letter away from any local hard disk or removable drive letters your computer might use in the future.
9) If you are on broadband or any constant high-speed connection to the Internet or LeTourneau's network and would like the drive to automatically reconnect when you start Windows, please check the "Connect at login/startup." Users who often use laptops disconnected from a broadband network may wish to leave this box unchecked and connect manually from the WebDrive system tray icon.
10) Enter your username and password in the fields provided
11) Click the Properties button, the dialog below will be displayed.
12) On the left-hand menu, select the "DAV" entry under "Connection"
13) Check the "Enable Auto DAV locking" box.
14) Confirm that the "Use DAV lock to check if user has Write access to file" is checked.
15) On the left-hand menu click the "Cache" entry.
16) Set the "Cache Settings" option to "Override global settings"
17) On the left-hand menu click the "Options" entry under "Cache"
18) Select the option for "Multi-user - validate cached files with server"
19) All the other options on this page should be ok as they are once the above option is set.
20) Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the dialog.
21) Click the "Connect" button on the original dialog box to connect to your files for the first time and then click the "Exit" button.