IT Knowledge Base
What should I do if I get the error message "The connection attempt could not be completed" when connecting to wireless? [MOVED]
|Author: Peter Blosser Reference Number: AA-00414 Views: 5667 Created: 08-20-2010 12:10 pm Last Updated: 05-15-2013 04:14 pm||0 Voters|
What should I do if I get the error message "The connection attempt could not be completed" when connecting to wireless?Occasionally a clients connecting to wireless may receive the following message: "The connection attempt could not be completed".
If you click on "Details" it will inform you that the error says that Entrust.net is not added as a "Trust Anchor" for this profile. Entrust.net is a widely accepted security authority and should be trusted by default, however some computers are still not set to trust it. We can add this manually.
In order to manually add Entrust.net as a "Trust Anchor" use the following steps:
- Right click on your wireless icon and select "Open Network and Sharing Center"
- Click on "Manage wireless networks" from the left column and double-click on letnet. If you do not see letnet as one of the networks in that list click on "Add" and then click on "Manually Create a network profile". Then type "letnet" in the Network name field, select "WPA2-Enterprise" for Security type, "AES" for Encryption type, and click on next. Then click on "Change connection settings". You should be shown the properties of this connection.
- Click on the "Security" tab and make sure that "Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP) is selected for the authentication method. Then click on "Settings"
- Make sure that both "Entrust.net" root certificate authorities are checked and click ok.
- Try connecting to letnet wireless again and you should be able to connect as usual, entering your user name and password.