The 75,000-square-foot Solheim Recreation and Activity Center is LeTourneau University’s hub for its 13 men’s and women’s NCAA Division III athletic teams (and intramural sports, which are a pretty big deal at LeTourneau).
Students may check out sports equipment from the equipment room free of charge
As a student of LeTourneau University, you will have full access to the Solheim Recreation and Activity Center, which boasts:
The Solheim Center gives students access to a wide range of exercise spaces and equipment, including:
- Treadmills, stationary bikes & ellipticals
- A variety of strength training machines
- Free weight and Nautilus room
- Aerobics/Martial arts room
- Indoor running track (11 1/4 times around = 1 mile)
Free fitness classes are available to all LETU students. Faculty, staff and guests may attend for a small fee. (Punch cards are available for purchase from the Solheim Center front desk: 1 class $3, 10 classes $30, 20 classes $50, 30 classes $70)
Available classes include:
- Body Combat is a high-energy martial arts-inspired workout that is totally non-contact. Punch and kick your way to fitness all while having fun. No experience needed. Learn moves from Karate, Taekwondo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Capoeira and Kung Fu. (T 6:45-7:45pm, F 6:30-7:30am, F 12:10-1:00pm)
- Body Pump is the original barbell workout that will sculpt, tone, and strengthen your entire body, fast! Body Pump is one of the world's fastest ways to get in shape as it challenges all of your major muscle groups while you squat, press, lift and curl. (MW 12:10-1:00pm, TTh 5:30-6:30pm)
- Pump & Shred is a combination of the popular Les Mills Body Combat and Body Pump in a 60 minute total-body blast! The class consists of 30 minutes of Combat followed by 30 minutes of Pump (W 5:30-6:30pm)
- Zumba fuses Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow dance moves to create a dynamic cardiovascular workout system that will blow you away. The motivating Latin and International music is inspired by cumbia, salsa and merengue. (T 4:15-5:15pm, Th 6:30-7:30am, Th 6:45-7:45pm)
- P90X Live We all love to hate a good workout mixed of cardio and interval weight training. In this class we bring back the same intense old-school workout and then some! The extremeness comes from how hard you are pushing. You can do the entire workout with body weight only, with resistance bands, or you do it with weights. You can do the cardio section without jumping so it can be great for any age and level! This class will be on an every-other-week rotation with INSANITY Live. (T 6:30-7:30am)
- INSANITY LIVE Remember all those times you plugged in your Insanity DVDs and got one INSANE workout? This hour-long class will bring those DVDs to life and will not only get your heart pumping but your calories burning fast from the minute the warmup begins. This class is similar to High Intensity Interval Training (HITT), but can be for any age and fitness level. No equipment used, just your body! This class will be on an every-other-week rotation with P90X Live. (T 6:30-7:30am)
- Hardcore Abs is a core-intensive workout focusing on exercises targeting the abs and back, and everything in between. Functional movements utilizing Mat Pilates, Yoga-based exercises, stability balls, and body weight to make you strong from the inside out. (M 7:45-8:45pm)
- Strong by Zumba is a high-intensity interval training workout driven by the science of Synced Music Motivation. With most workout programs, music is an afterthought. The music in Zumba Strong was crafted to drive the intensity in a challenging progression that provides a total body workout. The result? A group fitness experience like no other. (T 7:45-8:45pm)
- Zumba Step is the combination of step aerobics and the fun dance style of Zumba. You get the awesome toning and strengthening power of step aerobics, with the fun party atmosphere of Zumba.
- fitBox Whether you are a newbie to exercise or have been working out for a while, there is nothing like pounding out a boxing workout! This class incorporates plyometrics and bootcamp drills, along with boxing with partners using focus mitts to work every muscle from head to toe. You will be trained to properly punch and kick so you get the benefit of this intense workout without injury. Prepare to sweat! ** Gloves (or grappling half-gloves) are required ** (MW 6:30-7:30am)
- Water Aerobics This is not your Grandma's workout! Come get wet and get fit. This water workout includes a high intensity aerobic segment followed by strength, toning, and stretching in the water. (MWF 12:10-12:50pm)
Waveless Swimming Pool
LETU students, staff and faculty are able to enjoy a swim in our waveless indoor swimming pool year-round.
The pool is also used for the water aerobics fitness class, as well as for the first lessons in LETU's introductory scuba diving course, which can be taken as a kinesiology elective.
Two sand volleyball courts
Many students enjoy playing sand volleyball on the outdoor volleyball courts. Necessary equipment may be borrowed from the equipment room free of charge.
Teams of students often use the outdoor volleyball courts to hold intramural games.
Three Racquetball Courts
Racquetball courts are available for student, faculty, staff and their guests. Equipment may be borrowed free of charge from the equipment room.
Students may also take a Racquetball class as a Kinesiology elective. Classes are offered in the fall and spring semesters.
Six Lighted Tennis Courts
Davis Tennis Courts is the home of the LeTourneau University tennis team and is located next to the Solheim Center. The area is beautiful place to watch a varsity match or get a workout of your own.
Students may also take a Tennis class as a Kinesiology elective. Classes are offered in the fall and spring semesters.
Solheim Arena, located in the Solheim Recreation Center is the home of the LeTourneau University basketball and volleyball team.
In 2012, a brand new scoreboard and new hardwood surfacing was added to the arena. Installation of new seating will take place in the near future.
Coaches and Departmental Offices
The Solheim Center is home to LETU's Kinesiology department as well as many of the university's athletic teams.
For this reason, many university coaches and kinesiology faculty members' offices are located in the Solheim Center.
Exercise Lab for Kinesiology Students
The LeTourneau University Exercise Labs allow kinesiology students a place to put their knowledge into practice.
In the labs, LETU students learn about the human body and its movement in a hands-on environment.
To learn more about kinesiology at LeTourneau University, visit the kinesiology department web pages.