Counseling Licensure

This program is available at our campuses in Longview and Dallas.

LPC Licensure

The Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) specialization requires 66 credit hours of coursework designed to meet the academic requirements necessary for LPC licensure in the State of Texas, and includes 6 credit hours of practicum experience.

To become licensed in Texas as an LPC, graduates must pass the National Counselor Examination (NCE), pass the jurisprudence examination, and complete 3,000 hours of counseling in a post-graduate internship under the supervision of a Board-approved supervisor. (The post-graduate internship is in addition to the practicum experience that is a required part of LeTourneau's program.)


LMFT Licensure

The Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) specialization requires 66 credit hours designed to meet LMFT licensure requirements in the State of Texas, and includes 9 credit hours of practicum experience.

To become licensed in Texas as an LMFT, graduates must pass the national licensure examination administered by the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards (AMFTRB) or the State of California marriage and family therapy licensure examination, the jurisprudence examination, and complete two years of work in marriage and family therapy services that includes at least 3,000 hours of practice acceptable to the Board (at least 1,500 hours of direct clinical services, 750 of which must include services to couples or families).


LPC and LMFT Dual Licensure

Students may choose to complete academic requirements for both the LPC and LMFT licenses. This dual licensure track requires a total of 66 credit hours, including 9 credit hours of practicum experience and 6 credit hours of approved electives.

Students may increase marketability, career options, and clientele with this option.


School Counselor Specialization

Since students must complete 66 credit hours to meet school counseling certification requirements, a requirement for licensing is that students also complete the coursework for professional counseling eligibility.

Students seeking school counseling certification must provide a service record showing evidence of two years of teaching experience. Evidence of service or evidence of current progress toward service must be provided prior to the scheduling of the first practicum course. Students must pass the practice exam prior to receiving approval to sit for the state exam. A recommendation is that students pass the practice exam prior to the first practicum. 

Students without 12 hours of undergraduate or graduate coursework in counseling or a related field are required to complete PSYC5003 Introduction to Counseling during their first semester. Students without an undergraduate course in Abnormal Psychology are required to take PSYC5013 Advanced Abnormal Psychology prior to registration in PSYC5043 Psychopathology. Students without an undergraduate or graduate course in statistics are required to complete PSYC4603 Statistics and Research Methods I prior to registration in PSYC5053 Research Methods. These leveling courses do not count toward hours for degree completion.